Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What the Fondant?!


So, since we are starting this blog a little late, we thought we'd share some of the projects we've done the past few months. We started cake decorating in mid February of this year. In fact, the first time I ever handled fondant was for a small 5" round cake for our friend's birthday.

I didn't know anything about handling or smoothing fondant so when I draped it over this small cake, I got all these folds and wrinkles! You better believe I was in a panic, but luckily I was able to hide them with flower fondant decorations that I made. :)

Lessons learned:
1) Don't get too excited about working with a medium (in this case, fondant) until you have learned the ins and outs about it!
2) Mistakes are sometimes a blessing in disguise...DECORATE!
3) Instead of rolling the fondant out on a counter dusted with cornstarch or powdered sugar (which will dry out the fondant and cause cracking), roll it out on a self healing cutting mat. It won't stick, it's wonderful!
4) You need to work FAST, especially in colder weather.
5) Make sure your cakes are dense, completely cooled otherwise you will get airbubbles between your fondant. The weight of the fondant presses down on your cake pushing all the air out of it.

Happy rolling!

-Lei

No comments:

Post a Comment